FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Office of Gov. John Hickenlooper and ColoradoUnited.com
ColoradoUnited, 303-865-8151, firstname.lastname@example.org
Town of Lyons restores critical infrastructure, recovery efforts continue to rebuild communities
DENVER — Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2013 — Gov. John Hickenlooper today announced that significant infrastructure repairs have been made to the Town of Lyons’ transportation, water systems and waste water systems damaged by the September floods. Additionally, the state and federal government continue to coordinate and provide assistance to businesses, families and communities recovering from flood damages.
Hickenlooper has made 27 visits to 18 counties that had flood damage to meet with community and business leaders. The governor encourages community and business leaders to continue to work with the state and federal government to rebuild quickly and better. Additionally, the governor submitted the FY 2014-15 budget request that includes funds for recovery efforts from wildfires and floods.
Town of Lyons Recovery Efforts
As of last Friday, Nov. 1, the Town of Lyons no longer has a boil-water advisory and the waste water treatment plant has resumed operations. Nearly 90 percent of the town now has wastewater sewer service through permanent or temporary solutions, and the remaining 10 percent expect to have service within the next two weeks.
Recovery Office Efforts
More than 1,200 Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT), Office of Emergency Management (OEM), National Guard and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) workers continue to collaborate to address the needs of Coloradans impacted by the September flooding:
• CDOT and the National Guard reopened U.S. 36 between Lyons and Estes Park on Monday, Nov. 4 — nearly one month ahead of schedule.
• 89 percent of damaged state and federal roadways are now open, with the remaining on track for opening by Dec. 1.
• FEMA approved a third extension to the Transitional Sheltering Assistance program that pays for eligible flood evacuees to stay in temporary housing. FEMA, Office of Emergency Management, and Division of Housing are working with impacted families and individuals to have more permanent housing solutions by Thanksgiving.
• The U.S. Small Business Administration approved $57.3 million in low-interest disaster loans to Colorado homeowners, renters, businesses and nonprofit organizations that have experienced physical or economic injury. SBA loan applications are due by Nov. 30.
• As of this week, FEMA Public Assistance obligated an additional $10.9 million in funding to applicants in the 20 counties eligible for Public Assistance. Deadlines for applications are Nov. 16 for counties approved in September and Nov. 20 for counties added in October.
• The deadline for FEMA Individual Assistance applications was extended to Nov. 30 for people in the 11 counties approved for Individual Assistance. Total funding allocated to date is $46.7 million and, as of this week, 26,000 people have applied and 15,000 applications have been approved.
Fundraising and Volunteer Efforts Gain Momentum
As of this week, more than $15 million has been raised by Red Cross, United Way and HelpColoradoNow to assist those impacted by the flooding. This includes more than $687,000 raised for United Way by the Colorado Rising Concert on Oct 27.
ColoradoUnited.com Adds New FEMA Public Assistance Resource
With more than 12,000 visitors in one week, ColoradoUnited.com continues to enable people to find the information and resources regarding the flood recovery. A new resource on the site is easy-to-follow documentation of the FEMA Public Assistance process with five scenarios based on type and size of projects. Subject experts have provided the promised 24-hour response to 74 inquiries received via the Contact Us page.
Gov. John Hickenlooper appointed Jerre Stead, executive chairman of Englewood-based IHS Inc., to be the state’s Chief Recovery Officer. The Recovery Team is focused on making Colorado more innovative, safer and resilient in its infrastructure, community and environment. Go to www.ColoradoUnited.com for more information.